Sunday 1 February 2015

Self Esteem and TV Screens

I was brought up to believe the glass is half full.  I have lots of memories of my mum singing ‘Always Look on the Bright Side of Life’ to me and my sister as children, which probably accounts for my relatively sunny disposition.  My mum used to talk to us a lot about the power of the mind – mind over matter and all that - so I’ve always had an interest in this kind of thing.

One weekend when I was 14 and well and truly in the awkward phase (braces, pre-GHD frizzy hair, spots) my mum took my sister and I to a wellbeing exhibition at a local sports centre.  At the end of the day we attended a talk by Uri Geller – the man who bends spoons, with his mind…

The talk was based on his book ‘Mind Medicine’ and I found the whole thing fascinating, but something which really resonated with me, which I wanted to share with you, was a technique he spoke about which I’ve used ever since (sadly I’m not talking about the spoon bending, though that would be a great party trick).  The technique I’m referring to involves visualising a TV screen (bear with me) and it has done wonders for my self-esteem and helped give me a confidence boost at times when I’ve needed it most.

I’m going to use a personal account to explain the technique.  I went away to a very theatrical boarding school for sixth form.  I was so excited to go there as I loved drama and was really interested in media as well, which the school was very well known for.  From the first day, I felt that all the other girls at the school were far prettier, more talented and generally far superior to me.  Initially I’d really wanted to get involved with the amazing productions the school put on but my self-esteem wasn’t up to much and the other girls were so incredibly confident that I shied away from it all.  Then in my final year I decided I’d go for it and audition for one of the shows.  This audition involved singing in front of loads of my fellow students in the school theatre and that was petrifying.  It makes me feel slightly nauseous thinking of it now, all these years on.

Uri Geller’s technique was very simple – all you had to do was visualise a giant TV screen and imagine yourself in a given scenario on the screen.  In this case, I imagined the TV screen and visualised myself singing the song I’d prepared.  On the TV screen, I was calm and confident and singing well.  I really focused on how I wanted to feel in that moment. This process not only helped with the nerves but also enabled me to really imagine myself doing something that a year earlier would have filled me with dread.   I did the audition and got in the show and loved it. It was a huge boost to my confidence.  The TV screen has helped me through countless other situations such as first days in a new job, interviews, first dates, confrontations, getting through a gruelling work out (that one doesn’t happen often), meeting new people etc.

I can still remember the sense of empowerment I felt after this talk.  I felt really excited and it was a real ‘light bulb’ moment for me.  It was the feeling that, with the power of my mind, I can achieve anything.  It is the perfect kind of tool for me to use, as I’m a daydreamer with a vivid imagination, so it’s something that really works for me.  In an age where we pick up so many pieces of information and advice on a daily basis, it’s rare, I think, to find something that really stays with you like this.  I’ve used this technique ever since the Uri Geller talk and I really hope that if you’ve got this far reading about it, you’ll give it a go.  There are no limits to what your mind can conjure up and no limits to what you can achieve so get visualising and reap the benefits!

No comments:

Post a Comment